Friday, September 11, 2015

Scene Creation P.1: The Secret to Writing an Impactful Novel

Pin this!


Writing a book is similar to building a house: It begins with the blueprint, then the foundation and roofing. Soon, each room is given careful attention as the walls are installed, painted, and the furniture is added. A house only comes together through the process of giving attention to each individual room.

Just as a house is a collection of rooms, a book is, in reality, a collection of scenes. 

And as a writer, if we want to turn the novel into an impactful work of art, then we must give each individual scene the careful attention it deserves.

Often, the idea of writing a book can be daunting—especially if you hope to write one that leaves an impact. But instead of becoming intimidated by the big picture, why not focus on your next scene? Why not treat each “room” as a work of art and pretend like it’s going to stand by itself?

A house isn’t built in a day, and neither is a book. 

It is only through the day-by-day discipline of sitting in your chair and pounding away at your keyboard will you begin to see the big picture come together.

Is it your goal to write an impactful book? A story that lingers with readers long after they close your book? 

Then focus on the scene you’re writing now. Treat it as if it were a blog post or a school assignment, then make it the best it can be.

In this new blog series, I’m not only going to teach you how to create a scene, but how to do so in a way that turns your “room” into a work of art. 

I’ll show you how to craft it so that your readers don’t just fall in love with your book as a whole, but with each individual scene. 

And how to write it in a way that keeps your readers flipping through the pages. 

That way, when you reach THE END, you’ll be able to take a step back and see how each of those scenes came together to constitute the novel you’ve always wanted to write—the kind of story that will leave an impact.

Next week, we’ll discuss the 5 essentials every scene must have, including what the framework of your “room” should look like. ;)

What’s your greatest challenge when it comes to creating a scene? Do you begin with a foundation before you write or build-as-you-go?

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Although I'm far removed from the teen label, I am learning a lot from you, Tessa!

    I guess for me, I'm realizing that I write the dialogue first and then I fill out the details of where they are to relation to one another and to other things.

    I totally agree with you that the a book is just made up of scenes. I cannot wait to read more on what you have to say about this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Regine!

      It's so encouraging to hear that you find my blog helpful.

      My writing process is similar. During the first draft, I write down the scenes as they come to mind--specifically, the dialogue. Then, I'll go back and decorate each "room" by adding furniture, decor, etc. =)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Tessa

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!