Friday, January 16, 2015

Guest Post: How to Turn Your Everyday Life into a Ministry by Photographer David Wahlman

Hi, everyone! I hope you're all having a great start to the new year. =) 

As you can probably tell, I haven't been blogging much this year so far. 

For starters, my MacBook is unfortunately at the laptop hospital (AKA Apple) getting some repair work done. I am also going to take a small step back from blogging this year (which means that--rather than blogging 3x a week, I will blog once or twice a week). 

I really hate doing this, but I've realized that I need to carve more time out to write. However, this also means that I will have a new book coming to you sooner (hopefully)!

Anyway, today I have a photographer from California--David Wahlman--here to discuss what it means to be a Christian in the workplace. 

(And yes, you can apply this to your school as well!)


♡ ♡ 

Does God Call Us to Be a Missionary at Home?:

So often individuals in the church hear the word missionsand think of trips overseas to help orphans and villages that have never heard the name of Christ. 

This is definitely an aspect of being on missions, but Jesus didnt just limit us to far away places. You can be on mission right where you already are.

In Acts 1:8 Jesus promises the disciples the Holy Spirit and tells them to be His witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” 

So yes, the ends of the earth is a part of His commission, but we often forget that Jesus mentions Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria as well. 

If you know the geography of Israel, then his words would have a greater meaning. Jerusalem is reference to the place right were you are; the place you call home. 

Judea is the area surrounding Jerusalem; this could resemble your community or your city. Geographically, Samaria was right between Jerusalem and Judea and a goodJew would not pass through Samaria, because they were uncleanand not as good asthe Jews of Jerusalem. 

Ive heard Samaria being compared to the places or people you would not generally associate with or that you even consider your enemy. 

So, essential, Christ calls us to be on mission right where we are, the surrounding areas, where we arent accepted or loved, and to the ends of the earth. 

You dont have to be overseas to be on mission for the Lord.


Being on Mission in the Workplace:

Many in the Church today (including myself at times) have a tendency to compartmentalize the areas of their life. Weve got home, work, church, and social all separated. 

The truth is, if we truly believe that Christianity is suppose to be a lifestyle and that He has made us a new creation, not just for Sundays, then Christ is to be our all and in all. That includes your workplace.

I am owner and photographer of Wahlman Photography and for a long time I hadnt considered how I could use my profession as a mission field. But when I finally thought about it and asked God, I realized that I can have a heavy impact. 

For a while I was primarily a wedding and portrait photographer. I was constantly dealing with people, the very apple of Gods eye. I had the chance to work with couples, families, individuals, and those getting married. 

What better opportunity for me to affirm them in the beauty of the way God created them and share Christs love! 

I may get the chance to share what biblical matrimony is to those getting married and God may use it to set a foundation for their marriage. In more recent days, Ive begun to take more of a fine art photographer, creating series with very distinct themes and messages. 

Art in itself is a language; a way of communicating. I must be aware of and intentional about what my work is saying. I can also use this towards my mission, by communicating that which is of the Kingdom. 

There are many ways I could use my career for the purpose of Christs kingdom.

Ill guarantee that--if you apply yourself and ask God for guidance, youll find a way to be on mission regardless of what you do. 

Whether youre a salesman, business man, architect, truck driver, or plumber, you can find ways to glorify God. When you wake up in the morning, offer yourself as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1).

Ask God each day how your attitude and actions can proclaim Christ at work. The biggest impact that your career can have on people is you. 

You are a light in the world. You are Gods temple. You are the salt of the earth. The way you interact with people, the way you carry yourself, and the words you say are the most impactful thing about your career. 

So dont you dare think that just because your not overseas, youre not on mission. 

We live in a fallen world and that includes the one right outside our door.

I implore you brothers and sisters to be men and women driven by the kingdoms purpose. He wouldnt have commanded you to glorify Him in all you do (Col 3:17, 23) if it wasnt possible. 

Ask God and seek out how you can live on mission in every aspect of your life. The next step is doing. Glorifyis a verb. Loveis a verb. Gois a verb. Witnessis a verb. 

Being on mission is a lifestyle of action and the time to start is today.

♡ ♡ 

Thanks for sharing this with us, David! This came at a perfect time for me, too, since I am currently trying to decide on whether or not I should write YA fiction in the secular market as well.
For more information about David Wahlman's photography, be sure to check out his website here.

Readers: Do you think it's possible to turn any career and everyday life into a ministry? How could you, a teenager or student, follow this example in your school? Please share your thoughts below!


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Tessa, if you are considering writing YA fiction in the secular market, it is still possible to glorify God through it. That is what I plan on doing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!