Saturday, September 15, 2012

What’s Your Purpose Behind Writing Christian Fiction?



Fiction is powerful—in good ways and bad. This is the main reason why I don’t read many secular YA novels. Lots of the recent contemporary YA novels are filled with lots of trash, and I'd rather not open myself up to that kind of influence. This is also why I love Christian fiction. Because these stories can help people see the consequences of their actions and reach people right where they are in life. Christian fiction can show people that God offers love, forgiveness, mercy, grace.
When Jesus was on earth, he was aware that stories were powerful. That’s why he told parables—because he knew there were those who needed the illustration. He knew that some people would need to be told the truth through a story in order to fully grasp the message he was trying to deliver.
Luke 8:10 (MSG) says~
“You’ve been given insight into God’s kingdom—you know how it works. But there are others who need stories…”
Recently I’ve been going through the round of edits for my first YACF novel, Purple Moon. And I’ll be honest—there have been times recently when I've had doubts. Times when I start thinking “My writing is not strong enough. Why did I write this? No one's going to like it.” And sometimes, when I read bad reviews on other books, I imagine all the horrible things people might say about Purple Moon.
But every time this happens, God reminds that I’m not writing to glorify myself. I'm writing to bring glory to Him. I have to remember that this is the story God has laid on my heart. My purpose in writing Christian fiction isn’t so people can give me praise—if it was, I probably would’ve given up already. When doubts are flooding my mind, I try to remember: not everyone is going to love my book. But I’m not writing for those people. I’m writing it for the girls who will be able to connect with my main character. For the girls who might be going through similar situations as she is in the story and could really be ministered to by reading Purple Moon.
Yes, there are people out there who might be needing to read your book. As you write, God already knows what guy or girl is going to be touched by your writing, perhaps even feel as if they’re reading the story of their life. And yes, it is possible that a non-believer can become saved through Christian fiction. It’s happened many times before. One of my best friends is proof. She asked God into her heart a few years ago while reading the Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn.
It isn’t easy, the process to publication. And there will be times when you want to give up. But please, for the sake of your future readers, don’t quit. Especially if you really feel as if your story could minister to people. Keep going, because there are people out there who may need to read the book you’re tempted to throw away right now. Go back to the reason you first fell in love with your story. Robin Jones Gunn—the author of the Christy Miller Series I mentioned above—was rejected ten times before the first book in the series was published. She now receives letters from readers all over the world, thanking her for the book series and telling her what an impact they've made on their life.
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been very ambitious. But what's the number one dream I have that basically sums all of them up? To reach people. That through the gifts God has given me, He will shine through me and touch lives. That people might come to experience His love through the fiction I write, through a part I may play in a film, or through the words I may write in an article/devotion. And of course, through my every day life.
This should be every Christian fiction author's purpose behind writing too, as well as his/her motivation to keep going. No, not so they can bring glory to themselves. But to reach people. Even if it’s just one life that will be touched by your story, I'm sure it'll be worth it.
~~~Why do you write Christian fiction? Have you ever had doubts along your journey to publication or become tempted to give up also? What helps motivate you to keep writing?

12 comments:

  1. I really needed this post. That past week, I've been tempted to give up on my current novel. But you're right--God has laid this story on my heart for a reason. Thank you so much for this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were encouraged, Emily! Thanks for commenting. =)

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome encouragement! I am writing a novel at the moment only the first few pages and I don't know if God's gonna come into it yet. But one reason I write [allegory type] is so that people younger than me might have a better life, so that some where in this world mistakes wouldn't be going round and round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the reasons I love fiction so much, because it can really open the eyes of a reader and prevent him/her from making the same mistakes as the main character.

      Delete
  3. I respectfully disagree. As a Christian, I feel my place is to write mainstream literature, where there are a number of remarkable stories being told by both Christians and non-Christians. As for reading non-Christian fiction, I recommend HONEY FOR A WOMAN'S HEART, a book of reading recommendations by the late Gladys Hunt and a manifesto on why it's good as believers to read broadly. While one portion of her book focuses on Christian writing, much of it doesn't. It's refreshing, challenging, and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry--I wasn't meaning to berate mainstream fiction, but to encourage those who are having doubts about the story they believe God has laid on their heart to write. I think it's awesome that you feel as if it's your calling to write mainstream literature, and I believe there should be more Christian authors in that market. In fact, I've also been been wondering whether or not I should try to get my current manuscript published in the mainstream market instead of Christian.

      That book sounds very interesting! I'll have to add it to my to-read list. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. LIkewise. You're a lovely person all around.

      Delete
  4. I haven't ventured to write a book. But I do currently write poetry and love to share my general thoughts on my blog. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and for sharing these insights on how to write and why you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really tried to write poetry, but I would love to learn how to some day. =)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post. Personally, I love writing and reading YA/MG, and I wouldn't put them all in the category of secular trash. Where would the world be without Little House on the Prarie or My Side of the Mountain or The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate? I'd hate for anyone to be influenced away from YA/MG thinking there wasn't anything good in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Sorry, I wasn't meaning to put them all in the category of trash, which is why I was careful to say "lots of them" rather than "all of them". I was actually referring more to secular YA contemporary novels, and by trash I meant that a lot of them aren't really good influences for the youth culture today. They seem to encourage more bad behaviors than good. And I know that not all of them are this way. I'm actually reading the Hunger Games series right now, as well as "Anna and the French Kiss" by Stephanie Perkins. I also recently read "Small Town Sinners" by Melissa C. Walker. None of these seem to fall under the category of the kind of YA fiction that I was referring to. They all seem pretty clean and not really "bad influences".

      Since this blog post seemed to venture off on this subject I might write another post next week on the topic. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. What an excellent article, Tessa :)

    I am encouraged to read about why other Christians write ... it is actually a question I wanted to ask "someone", and was thinking of you as I don't know any Christian writers in real life (I have been reading your blog for a few months). Thanks for inadvertently answering my question!

    I'm looking forward to reading Purple Moon.

    I put aside my writing (mostly middle grade fiction) for the past 3 or 4 years. I really wanted to write, but was striving too hard, and my young family needed the majority of my time and energy. There were several things I had to pray about and resolve. I felt that if it was clearly God's will for me to write, He would make it possible and remove doubts from my mind.

    This year in spare moments, without any effort, I sketched out plans and paragraphs for a book of encouragement FOR Christian women who write. The effort will come in transforming my ideas into something orderly! I'm excited about it and praying about the next step.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!