Sunday, April 11, 2010

Keeping the Passion Alive




"Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

What drives you to write? Is it because, as the quote says, you want to reveal truth that reality has obscured? Or maybe it's because you've always loved to tell stories and entertain people. But have you ever sat down to really think about where this crazy passion to create fiction came from?

I've been reading many author interviews and biographies recently. One thing I have noticed is each author has a story of their own. Some people have said they were born with a "pen in hand" and have been writing since they could read, but others have said that their interest in writing didn't spark until later in life. Whatever the reason may be, if you have the desire to write and you honestly can't explain it or make it disappear, then it's probably there for a reason. It's your God-given passion, which cannot be explained or vanished.

I have many moments when I just have to write. It seems like everywhere I go I come up with story or character ideas, which explains why some authors say to carry a notebook around. But the other day as I was in the car traveling during spring break, I was seriously thinking why everyone doesn't like to write. I mean, it doesn't make sense why some people can't stand writing or even reading! This gift God has given us is so exciting. We can not only make up stories and transport people into different locations and periods of life, but we can lead people to Christ through a few simple sentences. I think that's so amazing.

But then I had a thought. What if the fire inside does die, and writing no longer is a hobby, but instead becomes just work instead? I was also reading an interview with a popular young adult author. She said her passion to write returned as she was writing her latest book and it seemed like a hobby again instead of a job.

So I have a question for you authors and freelance writers. Have you ever felt like writing has now became your job instead of something you enjoy doing?

I think writing is an amazing treasure God has given us. As we pursue this industry, we should keep letting God stir up the passion inside of us. I can understand how writing can eventually turn into a job rather than work, especially when deadlines are involved. Not to mention some authors have mentioned how writing can become very lonely at times. What things do you do for that passion to be stirred up each time you sit down to write?

Here are a few ways that might help to get your creative writing juices flowing again.
  • Go to Barnes&Noble and buy yourself a Starbucks drink while you're at it. The smell of books and coffee always gets me inspired to write!
  • Go to the beach and listen to the waves crash and kids laugh as you write.
  • Go to the park and find a nearby tree to write under. I've never done this, but I'm sure it's better than writing at your desk!
  • Draw pictures of your characters, or even your setting. If you're like me, though, and art isn't exactly a talent of yours, then choose what actors/actresses should star for each character in your story if it was made into a film.
  • Watch movies, read books, and think about how powerful storytelling is
  • Drink coffee, eat chocolate... those don't have to be explained. ;)

I think writing can be as exciting or as dreadful as you make it.

We need to remember, though, that the most important reason we write is to show Christ's love to others. He has given us this desire, so let's use it to be a light for others!


What are some ways you keep the burning fire inside of you alive? Why do you write in the first place?

13 comments:

  1. I really needed this as a writer, and as a person. Thanks for this lovely post!

    I have a ton of giveaways on my blog--in case you're interested. :-)

    Smiles.
    --Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite honestly writing became more of a chore when I was hired in marketing jobs and to write boring newsletters. I missed the creativity of it all. I also went on a chunky hiatus while I was caring for my babies. But my thought is if the passion has been lit (as it clearly sounds like it has with you) the fire may fade, but it can reignite with brilliant light once again.

    It did for me. Great post--great tips.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

    I go through phases. It seems one day the words will just pour out of me. The next day nothing -- Ill rewrite the same paragraph for two hours. Im always passionate but the creativity doesnt necessarily flow easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to tell stories, but I want them to be moral stories. Good vs. Evil where good prevails with heroes that can really be looked up to. I write because I think teens need entertainment with good messages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The creative impulse comes to me at the most peculiar times. When it does I will write down just about anything...whatever is in my head at that particular moment. It might sooo random then but anything I jot down is a potential idea which can be grown into a full blown plot thread or story. Some of those random moments crept into my novel and I'm glad they did. Writing is never a chore for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a nice blog here and good posts...I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for following me! I returned the favor. ;) Good ideas on how to 'keep the passion alive.' I love searching the internet for actors to play my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah: I'll take a look at the giveaways. Thanks for your comment!

    Wendy Paine Miller: I definitely think that although writers love to write, there are some topics that would completely put us to sleep if we try to write about them. That's why everyone says to write what you love, and write what you know. :) Thanks for your comment!

    Carrie Cooper: That's the same way with me also, but coffee usually helps the words to come more easily. =)

    Candice: I also believe that teenagers need clean entertainment with good messages, which is why I'm currently trying to pursue Christian fiction for young adults. Thanks for commenting!

    Dean: I have plenty of random thoughts as well, so they have to be filtered out some way or another! And since I love to write, well, paper is usually where they're recorded. Maybe some day these random thoughts will be developed into a full plot. :)

    Covnitkepr1: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tessa, what a beautiful blog! I am so glad you stopped by Peace Garden Mama so that I could become acquainted with you. You are only 16? Wise beyond your years, dear girl. Spiritually as well as in your writing life. God has definitely given you many gifts and I, for one, will be here to encourage you and see the amazing things you will do with them. I love your suggestions for sparking creativity. I consider writing a tremendous gift and I don't take it for granted. Nearly every week I feel gratitude for the writing life and the power of words. I'm 41 and it has not grown stale at all. If nothing else, I appreciate even more now. Happy writing and living in the light!

    ReplyDelete
  10. KM: Thanks for visiting and for your comment! I love deciding which actors/actresses would play as my characters because it helps me to visualize my story better.

    Roxane: Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I've enjoyed writing ever since I first learned to read and being an author has always been my number one dream. I love your blog and hope to keep in touch. :) Thanks again for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I always knew you would go somewhere with your writing...even in the fifth grade, you had a gift! Not only do you have a talent for writing, but you're now an inspiration to others. I am so proud of you! Your future is bright, bright, bright! Stick with it and keep hoping for the best. God has great things in store for your creative, talented mind. Best of luck and congrats on an amazingly helpful blog site. HUGS to you!! *PS-Could you be any prettier too?!? Love, Ms. Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ms. Wilson: Aww thank you so much! You were one of my biggest inspirations in writing. The other day I ran into the journal that you made us write in each day :) I loved doing that! Also, my mom framed the essay I wrote in your class, "The Magic Man", and put it up at my Granddaddy's funeral a couple years ago. Oh! The other day I also ran into the "book" each of us made in your class because of your grant. Mine was called "In My Heart", about a little girl whose grandmother died. I always wrote depressing stories for some reason, lol :)

    Anyways, I would love to see you again! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are some ways you keep the burning fire inside of you alive?

    For me, its by reading books and watching movies alot when I'm on break from writing.


    Why do you write in the first place?

    I write because I feel the urge to do so whenever I imagine an exciting scene for a story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!