Every other Friday, I post a new Scripture, discuss my reflection of it, then give you the chance to do the same. By participating, you will have the chance to win prizes, as well as the opportunity to meet other Christian teens. =)
"Delight yourself in the Lord,
and He will give you the desires of your heart."
~Psalm 37:4 (ESV)
My mom used to remind me of this verse all the time when I was in middle school. I would tell her of all the dreams I had of being an author, actress, and magazine editor one day, and she would tell me to seek God first, then He would give me the desires of my heart. This is why I never had much doubt I would become an author one day: I'd had the desire since I was three-years-old. And according to Psalm 37:4, God could give me the desires that were on my heart, no matter how impossible they seemed (and as long as they were aligned with His Will).
However, this doesn't mean we should seek God simply because we want our dreams to come true. God knows our intentions. And keep in mind that our dreams cannot become our idols. There is a reason God wants us to seek Him first, before these dreams: so that our main desire will be to live for Him. It is only then that God can begin to open the doors for our dreams to come true.
- Have you ever placed any dreams before God? What was the result? +2 pts
- Has God ever given you a desire of your heart? +2 pts
- List steps that you are going to take to put God first in your life. +2
- What are the desires you think God has placed on your heart, and how could you use them to bring Him glory? +2 pts
- Discuss your own reflection of this Scripture (as I did above -- at least one paragraph). +5 pts