What is Monday's Minute Challenge?
Rules & Prizes:
- Only the writing prompt entries--not the journal prompts--will be entered into the contest.
- If there are over 5 entries, the panel of judges will select a 2nd and 1st place. However, if there is under 5 entries, the panel of judges will select only one winner.
- The 2nd place winner will receive a badge for their blog, and the 1st place winner will receive a badge, as well as a free ebook of my YA novel, PURPLE MOON. (See the note below.)
- The winner will be chosen based on the judges's preferences, as well as the following questions: Does this entry capture my attention immediately? Does it make me want to continue reading? Is the writing clear? They will also take into consideration the writer's voice and style--not necessarily technical issues, such as grammar, punctuation, etc.
- The same person cannot win first place two weeks in a row.
- If the winner has already read PURPLE MOON, the ebook will be rewarded to the second place winner.
- This is only for fun and to stretch your writing muscles--not necessarily to be taken too seriously. =)
Last Week's Winner(s)...
Since there were 6 entries for the writing prompt category, there will only be two winners (see the rules above).
It is also very exciting to read the entires, and the judge panel always has a difficult time making their decisions. So thank you to all who participated!
The entries that the judges thought was the most intriguing (based on rule #4) is ...
Second place winner:
Every minute that passed was one minute closer to my worst nightmare. With each step Matthew took toward the gallows, my heart grew heavier. There was nothing I could do. I had petitioned, pleaded, and begged the Duke to change his mind. He would not. Now I must watch my brother hang because he was kind enough to open our home to a stranger, to a pirate. The courtyard is silent, only the shuffling of feet can be heard.
I do not tear my eyes away as Matthew is led up the steps to the platform. The noose is draped around his neck. A bird caws, breaking the silence. Time seems to slow as the executioner reaches for the lever. He pulls it halfway; still the door does not drop. Now the lever is three-quarters of the way to the drop. Just as the lever is centimeters away from when the trapdoor will fall, I blink. When I reopen my eyes, Matthew is gone.
Congratulations, Jacqueline! Send me an email at christiswrite (at) gmail (dot) com so I can have your badge sent to you. =)
First place winner:
Every minute that passed was one minute closer to my worst nightmare. I struggled with the fears that threatened to strangle me and breathed deeply several times, willing myself to calm down and think. It was now or never, and it if was never, I could die. There was a window three feet above me and it was my only hope. I struggled to climb up the steep wall without hurting my throbbing swollen arm. Just as I sat on the windowsill and started to make my way out, I heard something behind me. I squeezed my eyes shut, wishing, hoping it wasn't who it had to be. "Trying to escape, are we?" a cold voice said quietly, sending chills up my spine. Veldi stepped into the room, his cold eyes emotionless as always. Veldi's best advantage over me was probably that he knew everything about me while I knew nothing of him, save that he was not afraid to hurt me. There was nothing I could do against him, so why was he afraid? Did he know something about me that even I did not know? Instantly, my fear was turned into anger and pain and I twisted around to look at him. "Why do you hate me so? Why can't you leave me be?" I exclaimed furiously with tears welling up in my eyes. "I'm afraid that would be impossible, my dear," he replied coolly. I shuddered at the latter part of his statement. Then his words began to sink in and dread descended into my heart. What did he mean? Was I going to be stuck in this cold and filthy hole forever? Why was he so afraid?
Congratulations, Elisabeth! Send me an email at christiswrite (at) gmail (dot) com so I can have your badge and ebook sent to you. =)Thanks so much to everyone who participated!
How to Submit:
You can also post your challenge response on your blog, and then create your own challenge for your readers! However, make sure that you link back to this post and use the image above. If you are participating on your blog, be sure to submit your link in the comments and I will add it to the list of participants at the end of this post.
*NOTE: I was originally going to award a free ebook of PURPLE MOON to the winner for only the month of January. However, I have decided to extend it--but only for one week. That means that this week, 2/3, is the final week that the winner will receive a free ebook.
Today's Challenge Is...
Choose at least one,
and let me know which one you are choosing:
and let me know which one you are choosing:
- Write a passage incorporating these items: a flashlight, rope, and a backpack
- Write a passage using the following words: trigger, camouflage, ground
- Write a passage beginning with this line: I never thought disobeying a teacher would bring me here.