Friday, February 11, 2011

Book Review: "Caleb + Kate" by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma

I post my book reviews a little differently. Instead of creating another summary of the novel in my words, I post the back cover blurb, what I liked about the book, what I disliked about the book, and final comments. Every book has it's pros and cons, and I will be reviewing from my point of view - based on my opinions, my taste, and the author's writing style.

The novel I'm going to review today is "Caleb + Kate" by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma.
Back Cover Blurb:

"As the popular darling of the junior class and heiress to the five-star Monrovi Inn empire, Kate has both everything and nothing. She's bored with school and life...until she locks eyes with Caleb at a school dance. Caleb is new to Kate's exclusive prep school, and it's clear he doesn't fit in. In fact, he and his dad work in maintenance for Kate's father. And while Caleb knows better than to spend time with the boss's daughter, it seems that every time he tries to back away, something pulls him right back in. When their parents demand that they are to stay away from each other, they learn of a fight between their families that occurred more than fifty years ago. It's a mystery Kate doesn't understand...but a legacy Caleb has endured his entire life. With the world stacked against them, Caleb and Kate will have to walk by faith to find the path that God has planned for them."

What I Liked:

I loved the entire story, especially the fact that it was based on Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. The author did a really nice job at bringing out the characters and making the reader forget that they are reading a book. I'm also in love with Cindy Martinusen-Coloma's writing style and the way that all of her books are Christian, yet aren't too preachy or subtle in it's message. I also think that she did really good at writing from two different point of views, one of which was a teenage guy's. The character's weren't the least bit stereotypical, either.

What I Disliked:

The only thing that really stood out to me was that the plot-line could have been thought out a little bit more, especially the ending. There weren't exactly too many conflicts. But the story was very intriguing, which is what mostly matters.

Final Comments:

There aren't many books like Caleb + Kate, a Christian teenage romance that isn't cheesy and is well-written. I would definitely recommend, especially if you're looking for a nice Valentine's Day read. =)


~~~
Have any of you read "Caleb + Kate"?
Do you think the author did a nice job at writing a modern-day Romeo and Juliet?
What did you think about the plot, the themes that it portrayed, the writing style, etc.?

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my blog!